Friday, June 21, 2013

Going for Môn

They say a week is a long time in politics. That’s certainly true of events this week. When I put my name forward to be considered as the next Plaid Cymru candidate for the 2016 Assembly election in Arfon, there was no indication that Ieuan Wyn Jones might not be standing in Anglesey again. As we now know, that situation has changed rapidly and a by-election is imminent after his departure yesterday.

Following careful consideration and many messages of encouragement from members in Ynys Mon, I feel I have to follow my heart. I have decided to withdraw from the race for Arfon to give my all in my bid to be selected as Plaid Cymru’s candidate in the Ynys Mon by-election.

To the many people of Arfon who had pledged their support for me, I am sorry to disappoint them but I’m sure they’ll understand my dilemma and my decision.

I would like to wish the remaining candidate, Sian Gwenllian, every success.

No comments: