Sunday, September 26, 2010

And the result is...

Most of my readers will know this from twitter and facebook by now, but just in case you haven't heard, the result for the Plaid Cymru North Wales list is as follows:

1. Llyr Huws Gruffydd
2. Heledd Fychan (me!)
3. Dyfed Edwards
4. Liz Saville

A huge congratulations to Llyr. I know he will be an effective Assembly Member and Plaid will be lucky to have him as part of the group. Obviously, from a personal perspective, I was disappointed yesterday as I know its unlikely that Plaid will gain a second list seat next year. But, I did take some comfort from the fact that I was genuinely second and not bumped up because I'm female.This was the first time I'd run in an internal battle and also in North Wales, and hopefully it won't be the last! I did give it my all, but it wasn't my time this time and I just need to accept that and look ahead.

As the second placed candidate, I will be working just as hard as I would have done as the first placed one to ensure that we secure a yes vote in the referendum next year before going on to increase our support in North Wales. We must enthuse our supporters to come out and campaign, and we must reach out to those who don't usually support us. There's a lot of work to be done, and I know all the candidates on the list are determined to achieve the best possible result for Plaid and for Wales.

Thank you to everyone who supported me over the past few weeks - I have been touched by all the messages of support. We now need to unite and ensure that we get as many Plaid Cymru Assembly members as possible elected next year. Plaid Cymru is bigger than any individual, and I genuinely believe that the only way to strengthen Wales is to strengthen Plaid Cymru.

Dros Gymru! For Wales!

No comments: