Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Schools situation in Powys

I was really taken aback by the plans that are being propsed for secondary schools in Powys. I have been fully aware of the funding problems with education in the county, but I'm surprised and horrified by what seems to be proposed.

I think all parties will need to come together on this issue, and fight any closures which could have a hugely detrimental impact on education in the county, particularly welsh-language provision. We'll also need to come together to fight for a better financial settlement so that Powys can afford education.

Before commeting further, I would like to see the plans formally announced tomorrow. But it's hugely worrying.

1 comment:

alanindyfed said...

It is the Welsh schools which have the best educational records. The problem is there are not enough to meet the demand. Bilingual education is not the answer.
Go into the playgrounds and everyone is speaking English.