Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Launch

This is the first time I've had the chance to sit down and write about the campaign launch that took place last Friday night. The evening took place in Machynlleth Rugby Club, and luckily a large crowd turned up, with over sixty in total. Needless to say I was delighted. I was very lucky that Dafydd Iwan, Dafydd Wigley, Elfyn Llwyd, Hywel Williams and Gwenllian Lansdown all to came along to say a few words of support and the members certainly enjoyed hearing from them how Plaid Cymru can and will increase the vote in Montgomeryshire at the next General Election. No pressure on me then!

I honestly felt extremely touched by all the support and kind words. To have such giants of Welsh politics pledge their support to my campaign was such an honour, and I truly appreciate the fact that they've always been very generous with their time in terms of giving advice and so on. Also, the members in Montgomeryshire have been tremendous and have really fired me up for the campaign ahead. Some travelled for an hour or more away to attend the night, and I'm grateful to them for that.

My Mother also came along, which was brilliant even though she did embarrass me my producing a Plaid Cymru placard I'd made in 1988 when I was seven yeard old! Proof that I've been committed to the cause from a very young age. It's the first time I've ever been totally lost for words in public and I went bright red - I'll get my revenge somehow!

Gwibdaith Hen Fran played later on in the evening and they were fantastic. Unfortunately, I had to leave at half eleven as I was working the following day but I hear great fun was had by all who stayed on. I'll definitely be there to the end next time!

So, to summaries, an encouraging, positive and fun start to the campaign. Yes, we are facing an uphill struggle but I am determined that I'm running to win. I have a great team of people supporting me, and I don't want to let them down. As I said before - bring it on! The next few months should be very interesting...

2 comments:

David Thomas said...

Excellent evening Heledd! Well done with all the organising that went into it.

Sweet and Tender Hooligan said...

I wish all the best of luck and would like to extend an offer to help campaign.

Personally i want to get campaigning in all corners of Wales, so if you want to hit me up on facebook, i can pencil in some time.