Friday, October 16, 2009

Committed

I've just been reading Glyn Davies's blog, something I haven't done for a while. One comment struck me from a person questioning my commitment to the campaign in Montgomeryshire since I don't live there full time. It was nice of Glyn to stick up for me, but still, I think it's something worth addressing here as well.

No, I don't live in Montgomeryshire and I've never lied about that. I'm based in Cardiff, and work across Wales. I try to be in Montgomeryshire every weekend during which I stay with my Grandmother in Newtown, and at least one night a week for meetings. Is this ideal? Well no, obviously not. All the travelling can be quite tiring and I haven't been able to catch up with many of my friends for a few months. But am I complaining? Well obviously not as it was my choice to apply to be a candidate in the seat and I'm truly enjoying the campaign. Unfortunately, in order to be able to develop my career, and more importantly, pay my bills, I can't afford to move to Maldwyn and campaign full time. I wish I could, but the reality is that very few people can afford not to work and just focus on trying to be elected. I truly envy those who can as it definitely gives them an advantage. I did look for jobs in Mid Wales before being selected as a candidate, but couldn't find anything at the time as the recession was just starting. So I went for another job that I'm really enjoying and which brought me closer to Montgomeryshire so I could be there regularly.

I can assure everyone that the moment the election is called, I'll be campaigning full time and taking unpaid leave. Until then, I'll do as much as I possibly can and I am running to win. The relaunch will hopefully send a clear message that we're taking the seat and the election seriously. I am totally committed to Mongtomeryshire and the campaign. It means a great deal to me, and I feel honoured to have been selected by the local party to fight the seat. I'm determined not to let them down.

3 comments:

Valleys Mam said...

Well said, just because you live somewhere doesn't mean that you are not committed to it.
Take a look at a number of politicians that are residents and do very little for them.
How many MPs say their constituency home is their second home.
What I think counts is that you have an affinity for that area , are fully conversant with it and its needs and are available when needed.
Some time being in the forest can blur the trees.

Glyn Davies said...

Don't be so defensive Heledd. Your links are not questioned in any significant way. OK, so its probably an advantage to live in the constituency you are contesting, but what matters is whether you have commitment and an affinity for the place. No reason to question that - which I was happy to defend you!

David Thomas said...

Let's not forget that not one of the Tory Euro candidates in June committed themselves to living in Wales were they to be elected.