Monday, September 7, 2009

Wigley's decision

Peter Black's blog post today blames Plaid's Parliamentary leadership for the failure to get Plaid members into the House of Lords. This is a perfect example of why I don't usually read his blog, as it is always so bitter as he seems to twist every single story just to be negative about Plaid. Life's too short. The truth is as follows. It was strongly suggested to Elfyn Llwyd that Plaid should nominate people to go the House of Lords and that they would be accepted. Plaid decided to hold democratic elections within the party, and duly selected three people. Since then, there has been an u-turn in the Government and for some reason, Gordon Brown refuses to sanction the nominations. Elfyn Llwyd has tried his best to resolve the situation. He couldn't have done anymore and I have the uttermost respect for him. I should know, as I worked closely with him on this issue during my time at Westminster. There's cross party support (shock horror Peter - even Liberal Democrats) for Plaid on this issue, and yet Gordon Brown refuses to budge. What more can Plaid do? Nothing. Which shows how undemocratic and flawed the system is. The statement from the Cabinet Office does not reflect the reality of what happened and there are even people within the Labour party who are disgusted at what's happened.

I don't blame Wigley for withdrawing. It's the right thing to do. He has still has a huge role to play in Welsh politics and is being wasted on the side lines, waiting for a peerage that may never come. Wonder what the next step will be? I look forward to finding out.

1 comment:

Peter Black said...

Funny I dont read your blog for the same reason but at least when I come over here I give you the courtesy of reading your entire post and not misrepresenting what it says.