Saturday, September 5, 2009

Framed

I've been meaning to post all week about this one off BBC Drama. Well, did anyone else watch it, and if so, what do you think?

Personally, I was totally confused by the accents. Wasn't it supposed to be set in North Wales? If so, why the huge variety of Welsh accents even amongst though who were supposed to have been born and brought up in the area? Most of the actors had valleys accents which was bizarre given the setting. It seems to me that those who were casting decided to cast anyone who was Welsh, not bothering to take into account any notion of dialect. A bit like casting people with strong Liverpool accents to act as proper Londoners in Eastenders.

The north Wales or Mid Wales accents are rarely heard in any English language tv programmes, and I think this programme was a missed opportunity to showcase the different dialects. Personally, I had to switch off half way through - not because of the story line but because the accents were all over the place and hence getting on my nerves. Don't get me wrong, I do love every Welsh accent - that's not my complaint. But there's no way people would be speaking as though they were from the Rhondda in Blaenau Ffestiniog if they'd lived there all their lives!

No comments: