Tuesday, June 2, 2009

End in sight.. C'mon Plaid!


I’m not voting on Thursday. I was too late requesting a postal vote, but luckily I’ve been able to nominate my Father to vote on my behalf by proxy. I do trust him to place the ‘x’ in the right box, but even so it will be strange not to actually cast a vote myself whilst at the same time encouraging others to get out there and vote. It also takes some of the fun out of election day. As an election and politics nerd, I must confess that I love going to the polling booth. Ah well. Though it is strange to think that the next time I vote will be in the General Election, and for myself as a candidate!

I hope the turnout is higher than expected, though it is unlikely. I don’t blame people for being apathetic. The campaign has been hijacked by the issue of MPs expenses and there’s been very little discussion about European matters, which is very disappointing. I think it’s also hindered in Wales by the fact that there are almost no posters to be seen anywhere around the country to remind you of the fact that the elections are taking place. There’s no sense of excitement or build up so its difficult to imagine that the vast majority of people will feel inspired to cast their vote.

I’m hopeful that Plaid Cymru will pick up the second seat, and hope to see Eurig Wyn back as an MEP. Though I’m obviously biased, I must admit that I have been impressed by Plaid Cymru’s campaign more so than the other ones and I think all of Plaid’s candidates have come across well in the media. I’ve also thought that the Conservative’s lead candidate has been impressive, particularly when I saw her at the PAC hustings. Though I didn’t agree with all that she said (no surprises there) she did create a positive impression and she’s certainly articulate.

So here’s hoping for a surge of Plaid votes this Thursday then! I’ll be at the Montgomeryshire count on Sunday and I’m looking forward to it. Totally different experience to when you’re running yourself, so I better enjoy it whilst I still can!

3 comments:

welshfledgling said...

Plaid haven't run a good campaign I was appalled with the televison broadcast of jill evans sitting in a hotel in Aber talking about travelling all over Europe. it wasn't innovative. I stil can't get my head around Jill going to gaza 4 weeks of the year. Jill is an MEP and is supposed to represent Wales not fly round the world helping in Gaza but helping the people she got elected for. Eurig is a good candidate. Plaid's campaign is a bit non existent and the shhet I saw that came through the door was about no new innovative policies. it looked like the same literature from the previous election back in 04. they are without doubt getting the ir names in the headlines with the dissolution of parliament and adam's bnp leaflet. i'm still angry with the party for the top up fee scsndal. when I saw heledd Mary at a debate. she said she wanted to see a free higher education for all and we've gone backwards!!!! As for Ieuan Wyn gosh he's got us as far as he can get Plaid. Now he should pass the baton on to a fresh face Adam or even Elin who's done an outstanding job!!!!!!!!

Glyn Davies said...

You won't be at Montgomeryshire for the count - because its taking place in Radnorshire! And I was sorry that you have already decided that you are not going to vote for me at the General Election even befor ethe campaign has started.

Heledd Fychan said...

Glyn - is it the Montgomeryshire count but taking place in Radnorshire. There is a slight difference! So you're keeping an open mind for the campaign - interesting. Maybe I can sway you and all your supporters to vote for me then! Good to know its a possibility...