Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...

So why hasn’t Gordon Brown still not apologised publicly for the email fiasco? I know he’s written letters – probably deeply heartfelt and moving – to every wronged Tory, but still… Can he not just put an end to all of this and say sorry whilst looking into a television lens? Then we can all move on and focus on some interesting news.

I believe Brown when he says he wasn’t involved in the scandal, and that he wasn’t aware of their existence. But surely he is at fault in some way having surrounded himself with such idiotic strategists who thought this might have been a good idea? Politics already has a bad press at the moment, and the public are totally disillusioned. Spreading malicious lies is not going to help rectify that, and I think the fact that a senior party strategist was seriously contemplating this as a way forward speaks volumes about the disarray and panic within Labour. They will never recover if they focus on negative campaigning, and the sooner they realise that, the better.

Of course, all politicians and wannabe politicians challenge, tease and provoke the opposition. I’ve certainly drawn attention on my blog and in the media to some of the antics of a certain Mr Opik! But to knowingly spread lies? That is completely unacceptable and below the belt… Being too vicious or unfair is just off putting to the electorate and politicians and their staff should keep this in mind. I’m certain that the leadership of Plaid Cymru would not condone such behaviour.

Hating someone just because they work for or support Labour, the Conservatives, the Liberal Democrats or even Plaid Cymru is just plain pathetic in my opinion and I’m glad that I have friends across the political spectrum. Whilst I have banter and debates with them, I respect the fact that they think differently on certain issues and vote differently to me. It doesn’t stop me trying to change their minds occasionally, but still… Life is too short to bear stupid grudges. Politicians across every party should be trying to work together to change the perception people have about politics by showing a certain level of respect, unless of course someone seriously transgresses. Petty point scoring is pathetic, and those strategists who sit at home either googling the opposition or trying to come up with some nasty lies need to get a life. It’s not big, and it’s not clever…

1 comment:

Paul Burgin said...

Talking across the political divide, I agree. There are a lot of angry Labour people at the moment over what Draper and McBride have done