Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Apprentice

I’m an avid fan of the television programme, the Apprentice, since the first programme of the first series. I was instantly hooked, and I do get quite obsessive about not missing any of the episodes. I know that if I don’t watch it live that someone is sure to tell me who has been fired, and that just takes the fun out of it then. I also enjoy the post being fired interview – that can almost be better than the main programme. Almost…

I did try out for the second series of the Apprentice and went through four or five rounds. It was a surreal experience, and the only reason I applied was because of a dare (college drinking game so the dare could have been much much worse). It was fun though, and I did meet most of the contestants that went on to star in the show which made watching the series a bit more exciting. However, I do count my blessings that I wasn’t selected. Nobody ever comes out of the series well, and the media scrutiny is just as intense as it is for the Big Brother contestants. It wasn’t as bad back then, and the people selected were proper business people. Now, they purposefully chose idiots to go on the show – ones that will aggravate, provoke, cry, shout, scream. Anything really that successful business people wouldn’t do, at least until they were multi-millionaires. This new lot really are a bunch of amateurs, and if I’m honest, it can sometimes make for better tv viewing… Doubt Sir Alan is happy at the prospect of having to employ any of them though!

Last night’s programme was interesting, especially when the issue of ethnicity/ racism raised its ugly head. Basically, in case you didn’t see it, both teams had to design a piece of exercise equipment, get it build and then market it to potential buyers. One team, led by possibly the most annoying female currently on television (who’s white by the way), had chosen one man and one woman from the team to pose for marketing material. Both happened to be ethnic minorities, and they thought it would be good to swap one of them for a white member of the team so as to have a balance. An Iranian team member suggested this to the white team leader, and she went nuts, accusing them of racism and so on. It just made her look stupid. Every ethnic minority person could see the logic of striking a balance – she was the only one to come out of it badly, and appear racist herself because she had such a huge over reaction. Idiot. I hope she gets fired next week…

1 comment:

James D said...

The Iranian lady's comment wasn't spectacularly professional come to think of it. It could so easily be read as (and without the context, Ms Obnoxious did -- I'm not sure we can totally blame her for this one) "I'm from an ethnic minority; therefore I'm allowed to be racist", which is just the sort of idiotic statement that results in disciplinary hearings etc. To tell the truth, she's just demonstrating her lack of communication skills, which is a bit sad for a programme that's meant to be about top business talent!

All of which makes me wonder, what did they actually ask you when you tried out for it? The filtering has certainly been getting worse over the series, but it didn't seem great to start with.