Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Googling...

Since starting my new job, I’ve been frightened by the number of colleagues who’ve freely admitted to ‘googling’ me. Before ever meeting me, they know what my favourite books are, my hobbies (everyone seems to remember kick boxing and karaoke for some reason), everything really. Some have even asked me about my baby, solely because an image of me and a baby comes up in Google Images if you enter my name into the search engine. Just to clarify this fact – I do not have any children. That picture was taken at an orphanage in Belarus during a visit there in 2003. So at least that’s one thing I’ve clarified. Even though ‘googling’ is the norm, I thought it was something you never admitted to doing in case you sounded like a stalker. Obviously not…

Many have also, inevitably, read my blog. Now that is a scary thought! I try to write quite openly about myself, and my views, but it does then mean that people are able to form opinions about me before even meeting me. It’s a tricky balance. Anyone who writes a blog obviously hopes that someone will read it. And yet, you’re fully aware that anything you write could, at some point, be used against you. I’m still trying to figure out how best to handle that… It’s boring to play it safe all the time – far too many people do that these days – but then again, how do you push the agenda or raise interesting discussion points without being penalised? Answers on a postcard please… Or at the very least a comment on this blog!

1 comment:

James D said...

People bothering with your online presence obviously means you're doing it well. Although, reflecting on the babies question, maybe you need more pictures (but I know it's all too easy to go the other way and do the "this is the candidate standing in front of a Post Office")...