Sunday, November 9, 2008

So much to say!

Sorry I haven't written in ages. I've just been too busy, and then too ill. Still in the midst of a nasty chest infection, so will keep this brief and elaborate once I'm better but what a week and a half its been! Here's a quick re-cap and a brief reaction:

1) Obama - wow! What a historic victory. And what a relief. He really does have his work cut out now, but at least he acknowledges that. Can't wait for Bush to leave office now so that Obama can just get on with the job. It will be such a relief to have an intelligent President after eight years of stupidity!

2) Tories report on devolution - what a joke. Firstly, the timing of it - published the day after the American election. What an insult to the people of Wales. And worst of all, what about its content? They'll decide their policy on devolution with another review AFTER the next general election. So they expect people in Wales to vote for them without telling them the truth about their views about devolution. What cowards. I'd be very disappointed with this report if I thought of myself as a pro-devolution Tory like Guto Bebb or Glyn Davies. Indeed, I'd be giving my party a hard time and pressing them to re-think this issue before the next election if I were them and if the party refused to do so, I'd be considering breaking away from them. After all, the more Tory MPs that are elected in the next election, the more devestating it could be for democracy in Wales.

The Tories have to be up-front with the electorate. The report suggests the Tories may even do-away with devolution. Surely, we need clarification on this and pronto.

3) SNP managed to increase their vote in Glenrothes but failed to capture the seat from Labour. Such a shame, but they still did brilliantly.

4) Mum's birthday party. We had a great night on Friday, except for one thing. Me being ill and I couldn't join in when everyone was singing karaoke. Nothing would come out - not even a squeak. It was the most frustrating hour of my life, sitting there in silence (something which is pretty rare for me) whilst everyone else had fun singing. I was not happy... But at least Mum was having the time of her life. And she loved her birthday cake luckily, so all was good. Think the vodca and tonic jelly helped as well...

5) Lembit lost his Presidential bid. And by a huge majority. Even his own party think he's an idiot. Having followed his campaign, and the fact he thought his 'celebrity status' was a plus rather than an obvious minus, I think I'm totally justified in thinking he's a total lembo/ prat. He really is totally dillusional. Let's hope voters in Montgomeryshire show the same sense as his party at the next General Election.

6) Calzaghe winning yet another fight! The Welsh wonder keeps on delivering... Wonder if it really was his last fight? I doubt it...

Anyway, this is all I can muster for now. I really do want to elaborate on so many things but my bed beckons. Don't worry, I'll be back and fighting fit within the next few days, giving my opinions about everything as usual. It would be interesting to hear your comments on the above though if you feel like sharing them...

5 comments:

Al Iguana said...

I think it's pretty much a given that the Tories are anti-devolution, I'm under no allusions otherwise however much they would like me to think it. A new Tory govt in Westminster is going to be nothing but bad news for Wales and Scotland, so we need to get our collective acts together before that happens.

Heledd Fychan said...

I agree with you, but when there are so many Tories in Wales now saying they are pro-Devolution, I think its only fair the electorate get clear clarification on what a Tory government would do about Devolution. Otherwise, its totally unfair if they are encouraged to vote Conservative under false pretences.

Al Iguana said...

politicians making false claims to gain votes? surely you jest? unheard of... ;)

Heledd Fychan said...

Ha ha, I know! Who would think it indeed. I just think that devolution is far too important an issue to mis-lead people on, and that's why I will be pressing on Tory candidates in the next General Election to be clear about their party's position on this issue. Its not good enough to say, we'll look into if AFTER we've won. I'd personally like to challenge all Tory candidates in the next General Election to seek definite clarification from their party as to where they stand on devolution. Otherwise, they have no right telling the electorate they're pro-devolution when their party say they might do-away with devolution if they form the next Government.

welshfledgling said...

http://partiparry.blogspot.com/

blog newydd sr y blogosphere