Thursday, July 3, 2008

Some answers...

I've received quite a few questions this week, in particular about why I have such an interest in Lembit. So I thought I'd give some answers. Here goes...

No, I don't fancy him. I can categorically state that it isn't a love-hate thing for Lembit that I have going on. Promise.

There are two reasons why I (a Plaid Cymru supporter from Ynys Mon) tend to keep an eye on the world of Lembit Opik. Firstly, a general interest in Welsh politics and he's quite an obvious character within that world. And, secondly, and most importantly, my mothers side of the family hail from Montgomeryshire or Maldwyn. Indeed, I still have a lot of a family in Mid Wales - my Grandmother lives in Newtown, and there are other relatives in Llanbrynmair, Clywedog and Bont Dolgadfan. I feel a deep connection to the place, and even want to be buried at the family graveyard in Staylittle when I die which hopefully won't be for a few decades!

The elder generations within my family are mainly Old Style Liberals, though there are a few Tories thrown into the mix as well. My grandfather was a councillor until recently on Powys county council, and as a result, politics has always been discussed within the family. As you may have guessed, I'm Plaid Cymru through and through. However, that doesn't stop me from appreciating good and effective politicians from other parties. I don't hate someone automatically just because they're a Tory, Lib Dem or even a Labour supporter! If Lembit was fulfilling his obligations to the people of Maldwyn, then I wouldn't have a problem with him. But he's not. And that's why I've been speaking out...

Lembit started off well as a politician. He created an impact and seemed geeky enough to do a good job of it. HOWEVER. Things rapidly changed. I don't think I need to go into details, but here are a few key words which led to his downfall: Sian Lloyd, Cheeky Girl, Mr and Mrs, Hello Magazine, I want a cheeky baby, Celebrity Apprentice, Celebrity Who Wants to be a Millionaire.... I think you get the picture!

I love eccentric politicians. I like people who are different. But Lembit is just a lembo (idiot). He's become obsessed with becoming a Z list celebrity, to the detriment of his constituents. His contributions in parliament are embarrassing to watch when he just jumps in to the chamber to make stupid interventions, and he parades around the place with such arrogance. Indeed, many Lib Dems I know won't be voting for him next time and are talking about de-selecting him as a candidate. That's how bad things have become...

However. To answer another question I've been asked... would I rather see a Tory as an MP in Montgomeryshire? Well, obviously, no but I wouldn't be ranting to the same extent if he was at least a good MP. Personally, I'd like to see Plaid Cymru put up a hell of a fight for the seat. I truly believe that it is a winnable seat for us in the future and want us to build up our support there. Many of our policies resonate with the constituents, and now that we have evolved as a party, I think we have a lot to offer them. Plus we have a lot of support there, if only we tapped into it. Some people think I'm naive to think this. Others have suggested it could take at least twenty years to make a breakthrough there. I think we could do it before then. Ok, so the next general election would be a tad unrealistic (though stranger things have happened). But, if we worked hard enough, I can't see why we wouldn't attract new support. I'm sure to rant further on this in the future,,,

And finally - to the last question. Would Wales be dull without Lembit? My answer: God, no!! I'm sure we'd see even more of him in the press if he ceased to be an MP. He'd be on celebrity Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here (well, he did try and persuade other politicians to take part in 'I'm an mp, get me out of here' in the past - true story I promise you. Everyone in parliament declined) or other such crap television programmes. Plus, he'd probably have a weekly column in a tabloid. And no doubt, something like that would suit him better.

I don't hate the man. Honestly. But I do hate the fact that he is an MP, and that he isn't doing his best for Montgomeryshire. That's why I want to see the back of him, and that's why I'll continue to post anything else damning about him I come across.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...many Lib Dems I know won't be voting for him next time and are talking about de-selecting him as a candidate."

So you have friends in the hierarchy of Montgomeryshire Lib Dems? Do tell who - wont you!

Anonymous said...

If Plaid were really clever, they would urge their supporters in Montgomeryshire to vote tactically for Glyn Davies at the next election. Glyn is a good and true Welshman ( as opposed to Lembit, who is ignorant on Welsh affairs and thinks it's funny to mock the Mont accent ) Lembit can easily be kicked out. Every Lib Dem I know is refusing to vote for him. His antics are now beyond belief and he's known locally as the fame crazed part-time MP. But Plaid have to be clever about the seat.

Heledd Fychan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heledd Fychan said...

I'm not going to comment on what Plaid strategy should be - that's for people far higher up than me to decide and something for Plaid to decide locally. Personally though, I think the people of Montgomeryshire deserve a strong Plaid Cymru candidate and a strong Plaid Cymru campaign in every election. A Tory is still a Tory, and a Lib Dem is still a Lib Dem. I think we have a lot to offer the good people of Maldwyn and also think that they deserve to have options in terms of candidates.

Banksy said...

The family graveyard in Staylittle?

My Taid, David Lloyd Jervis is buried there with my Nain, Kezia (great chapel name)

I wonder if our forebears were neighbours?

Heledd Fychan said...

That's a tiny little graveyard, so there's a good possibility. Only very few graves let alone families there so I wouldn't be suprised. I'll ask Nain next time I'm speaking to her...

Banksy said...

It's going back a bit, Nain died in about 1970, and Taid died in 1978.

Not a bad spot to spend the great hereafter.

A few years ago I cycled Wales top to bottom along the Lon Las Cymru cycleway, which passes through Stae and stopped off to visit his grave...which was quite a moment.

I've a great photo of him along with the rest of the Staylittle Home Guard, a real Dad's Army, lined up in the schoolyard.

Heledd Fychan said...

It hard not be moved by that little graveyard. I was at a funeral there a few weeks ago, and that's when I definitely decided that I wanted to be buried there. Will get back to you, promise. That picture sounds great!

Anonymous said...

You obviously don't get Montgomeryshire if you think it's better to have Grope-it Opik as an MP, as opposed to Glyn Davies. If you really cared about the county, then you would applaude and welcome the fact that Glyn is going to take the seat at the General Election. As Anon stated, Lembit doesn't give two hoots about Montgomeryshire or Wales. He might be a Tory, but GD is a Welsh man, and a proud one through and through. As a Plaid supporter you ought to recognise that you have far more in common with GD than LO and his pathological hatred of your party. Witness his disgusting meddling in the Ceredigion seat, when he struck a deal with his slimey mate Alun Davies.
Glyn will make an excellent MP. As Anon said, Plaid would do the constituency a BIG favour if they didn't even contest the seat. Glyn, after all, is a Pleidiwr in Tory clothing. The vital thing is to give Montgomeryshire the MP it deserves and stop making the place a national joke. Because as long as that celebrity obsessed excuse for an MP Lembit Opik is there, that's how the place comes over. And anyone who caught the car-crash progamme on the Freaky Girls las night, will tune in to what I mean. Though on the upside, it's one more nail in the fool's coffin.

Heledd Fychan said...

Think I've spent enough time on this blog explaining my viewpoint so won't go over it again and bore people! Everyone's entitled to their own viewpoint and we'll have to disagree to agree on this one though I haven't once said that I would or wouldn't like to see GD beat Lembit.

I know plenty of people who would agree with you, and plenty of people who'd agree with me. But to say I don't 'get' Montgomeryshire is unfair. A lot of people in Maldwyn support Plaid and want to have the opportunity to vote for Plaid. They deserve a good candidate.