Thursday, June 12, 2008

David Davis


I'm in shock! For the first, and probably the last time in my life, I agree with something a Tory has said and done. I think David Davis has been amazingly brave to resign as a Member of Parliament after last night's vote, which saw the Government narrowly win the vote to increase the number of days terrorist suspects can be detained without charge from 28 to 42. Indeed, I'd go as far as to say I admire him for it. At last, a politician (other than a Plaid Cymru one) has taken a stance about the erosion of civil liberties, and is pushing the issue to the forefront of the political agenda. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I was writing my 1984 entry yesterday. I just hope people will take notice, and that it will have some impact on future decisions.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the by-election, and see who will run against Davis. I think Clegg has done his first sensible thing since becoming the leader of the Lib Dems in saying that they won't be putting up a candidate against him. It could turn into a straight Labour-Tory fight: I certainly wouldn't want to be in the shoes of that Labour candidate! I doubt he or she will even get their deposit back...

Of course, it could all backfire. Gladstone is a hero of Davis', who was of course famous himself for campaigning on a single issue. The public could well turn against him for forcing them to consider one issue. Nobody likes being dictated to, and no he may well come to regret taking such a firm stance.

I'm looking forward to seeing the coverage on this in tomorrow's newspapers. Let's hope the emphasis is on civil liberties, rather than the implications this decision will have on Cameron and Brown. Hmmm... I think we have an interesting time ahead!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/42daylimit/

No comments: